2.29.2012

Perception is Reality? Or, is Your Truth Leading You to an Early Grave?

Watch this episode of one of my favoritie TV shows, Supersize Vs Superskinny:
part one, part two, part three, part four
(more episodes can be found in the playlists section of Ermmtv's youtube channel)

   
   Pauline's goal is something she says she'd give anything for. And not from a place of judgment and superiority as someone living this kind of "fit life", but that part of me that remembers strongly those same feelings of longing, I watched her and thought "but are you really ready to give anything? Are you willing to face your darkness and your fears? Are you willing to step outside of your comfort zone and away from the foods you use to distract yourself from your pain?"
   It honestly did hurt to watch the small amount of Pauline's life that was shown. Although I never reached that bodyweight, the emotions are the same at any weight because it's an issue of mindset, and not BMI.

   There's a whole mess of problems that come with the modern totem of a person having "their truth", "their reality" and that truth and what's right is all relative to one's experience of life. I know that me calling this BS is verging on the theological, but you can deal for the next 3 minutes it takes to read the rest of my article.

    You watched Dr. Jessen make my point for me as he lamented over the enormous coffins and Pauline's situation. By her lifestyle, and the choices she makes, she obviously believes that she is trapped. What you believe about yourself and your life dictates every decision you make. Evident in not only Pauline’s life and what she’s creating for her son, but also for everyone taking part in the TV show. On the other hand we have Dr. Jessen, and people like myself, who have seen the other side and understand fully the implications of a person feeling like a victim of their own life, desires, longings, or; like those in my type of environment who are convinced that their physical pain is not something they have the opportunity to take complete control over.
   It’s a daily fight I have with those around me in the gym believing that age has done them in, or their body was just poorly built and their shoulders, back, whatever is just going to be dysfunctional. These are NOT crosses to bear in life. I have studied too much and help too many people who refuse to “go softly”, and instead, become their own best advocate and keep seeking answers and not just quick fixes.

   I have a tendency to encounter three groups of people. Those who seek help for their physical problems and just dealing is not good enough. These people are the real fighters and are determined to live as fully and healthily as possible. These are also very easy clients because they not only do what I ask, but are self-driven to accomplish the task at hand. On the opposite end of the spectrum, and the most frustrating are those who see what I have to offer and yet are so stuck in self-deception that they walk away. Sometimes they come around, but most of the time they just keep wasting time and money on whatever bandage gets them by. Also parallels the dieter who gives me the all-too-common line, “diet and exercise doesn’t work for me, I’m just always going to have this pooch”.
   Most people however, sit in the middle, and this is who to whom I’m addressing this article. Inspired by a client who is caught between an overbearing authority (an insurance company and the worthless BMI chart they pillar) and her own personal demons.  She must become her own best advocate or resign to live in pain. It’s her choice whether to fight for the ultimate truth and her own health or settle for physical and emotional pain she’s all-to familiar with. Where is her line in the sand? I’ve seen the incredible fighter in her that she unleashes and smashes thru barriers, and I fully believe she can get what she wants out of life in some fashion. But I can’t choose for her.

   I encourage you to take an honest look at what you settle for in life and if you’re not happy and healthy, get the answers you need! We live but once, therefore we must live with intention and ownership.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous2/29/2012

    I <3 you so much. JF

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow- I didn't know this show existed. While watching this I had a very emotional response. The story of Pauline was particularly intense as my mother is a 'Pauline'. She is extreme morbidly obese, limited to her power chair, has an enabler as a life partner and is "willing to give anything" but is really not willing to give anything.

    In the last few years i have taken control of my life, i have become my biggest advocate and supporter. not all days are sunshine and lower numbers on the scale. But its remembering the forest despite the trees. Being thankful for where i have come and being inspired for where i am going.

    Seeing my mother trapped in her body and in her physical and emotional pain it makes me sad. But i stand in front of her as testamentary of what can be done. I do not tell her what to do, i tell her what i have done. When she asks for help i help, when she does not, i do not push her. It is her choice, i love her, but i will not enable her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this article! So very true. We are either our own best friend or our own worst enemy!

    ReplyDelete